I’m an Ancient Geek!
I live in splendid isolation in the north of England, with my amazing wife, an aged cat, and a few chickens
We’ve got three fantastic grown-up children, with their terrific partners, and two beautiful grand-daughters.
My geeky hobbies
Some things I like doing
- I enjoy making all kinds of stuff, and making websites has recently become an absorbing (and frustrating) new hobby
- I was an early Mac user, and I still enjoy playing with software, especially personal organisation and note-taking apps
- I’ve been fascinated by paper notebooks, graphic design, and all kinds of stationery, ever since I was quite young
- I’ve got a small collection of quirky bicycles, mostly small-wheeled or folding
- Most years I go for a few weeks cycle touring and camping, usually in the Hebrides or Brittany
- I enjoy woodworking, especially making Shaker or plywood furniture for my family
My erratic career
A few things I’ve done
- I’ve got a degree in mechanical engineering
- During the first half of my career, I managed several manufacturing companies
- Then I co-founded an advertising agency specialising in high tech clients, and helped run it for about 10 years
- I worked as a marketing consultant for a few more years, with clients mainly in Scandinavia and the US
- And then, I retired!
My Achilles’ heel
Things I still struggle with
- I’ve had clinical depression for much of my life
- Irrational feelings of gloom, and despair, sometimes overwhelm me
- Now, quite late in life, I’m trying hard to understand and manage my illness better